Monday, January 3, 2011

Big goodbyes and big hello's

Here we are again. Thanks for joining me on yet another journey. This one will be longer than I have ever pursued before. It's hard to say if it will be more challenging, more fun, or more fulfilling than my adventures over the last four years. Nothing may beat the freedom felt from my first time let loose in Costa Rica; nothing may bring me back to childhood and joy the way my first, second, and third summer at camp did; nothing may challenge me to be completely independent of anyone like studying abroad in Italy did; nothing may stimulate me like my senior thesis; nothing will convince me that my sister is in fact my best friend like Panama did and nothing may make me more sure of who I am the way South America did. But at the end of 2011 I'll be coming back to this paragraph, to a new January 4th, and adding to my list of nothings that can beat me. I am moving to Portland, Oregon in two days to begin a new life, a new job, a new me. I'll be welcomed by friends that I know and friends that I don't know. From what I've experienced and heard Portland is one of the best places I could be going. I bet you that I'm going to gain more than one nothing from her.

It was hard to say goodbye to Mom and Dad and it will be hard to say goodbye to Alissa on Wednesday. My family is my rock. As much as I give Florida a bad name I know I'll miss her sunshine and laying out on the lawn in the winter to keep my tan up. ;) I'm going to learn to love the cloudy and rainy Portland days just as much though. It will make the sunny ones that much brighter.
Though I am nervous for this new adventure, as I always am, I am ready to begin. I am ready to begin a challenge for myself and a challenge for the community I'll be working with.

That's Mount Hood in the background.
                                                  Longest ski season in the country!




I'll be living in the Alberta Arts District. They are very colorful!

Again, thanks for coming along. I hope we have a great year. 

6 comments:

  1. Nothing will make you realize how important weatherproofing your shoes is like your first Oregon snow day. THE SNOW GETS IN THEM. It's not even fair man. How are us Florida kids supposed to know this stuff?

    Anyway, I'm stoked to see how this goes for you. Don't be a blog stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you :) Can't wait to join you on your journey. Too much love for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo! Reading blogs might be my biggest guilty pleasure...Can't wait to live with you on your adventure!

    Much Love, Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you must be excited to be in Portland and setting up your new home. It's just one more adventure for you and you're getting good at those! I can't wait to see Portland in the summer. I miss you already. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I think I might be in love already. I totally forgot you started this because you were at my house, on my couch (while I was at work, ehem) and then I forgot about it cuz I had the real you :). Lovely already! Now to the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is February 2, 2012. "at the end of 2011 I'll be coming back to this paragraph, to a new January 4th, and adding to my list of nothings that can beat me" - update please.

    ReplyDelete